This is a two-week residential program offered by VIIS for professionals who'd like to gain theoretical knowledge and practical exposure to Global Health through the lens of contemporary Indian context. The course seeks to expand the participant's understanding of the relationship between health and development, and will examine issues that influence health on both domestic and global scale. It will be a mix of classroom sessions and practical field experiences within India's health system and related service industries.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the interaction between globalization and India, with specific reference to its healthcare system.
- Understand the role and influence of key players in the international health community – public sector, private sector and NGOs (third sector).
- Understand the prevailing health systems in India, including the traditional ones.
- Utilize the knowledge gained from first-hand practical field exposures to complement academic knowledge, for a deeper understanding of current Indian realities.
- Identify the challenges in the delivery of healthcare in resource-limited settings.
- Develop strengthened competence for leadership within a multi-cultural context.
The course will be offered twice a year – in July and December.
- The course is open for graduates in Science, Social Science, Public Health, Medicine and Nursing streams
- People working with NGOs or those with relevant work experience of at least 3 years can also apply.
Intake : 10 per batch.
Medium of instruction : English. Translators will be provided for interaction with the local community during field visits.
Fee : This cost covers only Academic and teaching expenses, road transport from Bangalore airport to Mysore and back, Local field trips, food & accommodation for the entire course duration and will not cover the airfare and Medical insurance.
Course structure : The course will be roughly structured as follows. All sessions will be handled by subject experts who are working in the relevant fields.
How to apply:
- Application form is provided on the VIIS website (www.viis.in). Admission is open throughout the year.
- Applicants should also furnish a statement of purpose (not more than 1200 words), explaining his/her motivation for joining the course and how he/she plans to apply the insight gained from the course in his/her field of work.
- Documents should be mailed to the Course Coordinator. Please specify the session applied for.
- Selected candidates will be informed within 3 weeks of submitting the application.
Please note: This course is independently offered by VIIS and is not affiliated to any University. Participants will be provided completion certificate at the end of the course.